A letter of Loretta Tina Boyd Enlistment to My Father



April 15, 1861
Dear Father,

After the responce of the surrender of Ft.Sumter, President Lincoln called for 75,000 volunteeers to form an army. Many editorials has been made both criticing and supporting Lincoln. News of the south seceding has travel far, since this is new, no one has no ideas what to expect. I have decided for the betterment of this nation we must untie and fix what had been lost, our peace. What should had been fix a long time ago, about the debate on what we should do about slavery. Obviously the United States have been putting off this topic for far too long. All the Compromise and events has lead up to this segregation. The Compromise of  1850 was only trying to delay the fact that our nation is slowly cracking under tension. I have decided to join the army as a volunteer. I am fighting this war to keep the United States of America together. It has been only been a while since I last seen you and I have miss you dearly. I made great friends and companion I hope they will support me everyday. My decision is still clear my country will always be first, I will help fix this nation to its former glory. Even though I am just one in a million, I will help in contributing. In the army I have became a nurse, I am proud to see I will help save people lives. All lives are important even if that life can lead us to our failure. This war is to help unify this proud nation again, blood should not be spill for the copperheads greed. Although I don’t approve of this war, for this war will bring many heart aches for family around the nation. I believe we all can talk in civilize manner, and discuss how we are going to move forward. Father, I miss you dearly, but I hope you can find in your heart to rest well and not worry about me. I will be careful not to get killed, in this war our life is the only thing that can bring a end to this conflict. The future generation will not be caught up in our problems. Father’s life must had been lonely without mother, I hope you are able to take care of yourself. 


Love your very brave daughter,
Loretta Boyd

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter Home(Enlistment) : Alfred A. Scales

A letter home 1862 : Nicole Scales