A letter Home(Enlistment) : Alfred A. Scales


       To my dearest Sally,

     I am doing very well and, I hope you and the boys are too. As you may know, Lincoln has called for 75,000 volunteers to form an army. I will be serving as a captain, so I am sure you are very proud of me. I have read many editorials criticizing Lincoln, and they've angered me. How dare the south go against the Constitution and secede illegally! Saying this I hope you and the boys do not associate yourselves with copperheads, they are nothing but trouble. How dare Northerners agree with the illegal actions of the south seceding! I hope you understand that I will be willing to die for our nation to be united. There cannot be a United States of America when the bottom half has seceded. I know for a fact that we will win the war. Besides, the South is too small to do any real harm. I'm sure this war will be over very soon. Take care of yourself and make sure to check up on our boys. Also tell them their father said hello. Until then.


Sincerely  your husband, 
Alfred A. Scales
April 15, 1861

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter home 1862 : Nicole Scales